Friday, February 5, 2016

Five Beers on Friday

I recently passed the 500 unique beers mark on Untappd (Legendary!) and am looking forward to keeping the momentum going to 1000 this year. I'm off to a good start with about 50 new ones in January. Here are a few of my favorites from the past month.

ONE
Harvest Wild Hop IPA w/ Neomexicanus Hops - Sierra Nevada


Source
Funky. Different. Must try. This IPA from Sierra Nevada is part of  the Harvest series in which they use new and experimental hops. This one uses a relatively new hop that was found out in the wild in the valleys of New Mexico and is thusly named neomexicanus. This wild hop has a distinct smell and flavor that is similar to cannabis. Most people are aware that hops and marijuana are cousins, but I have never found a hop to be so similar in its perceivable flavor and aroma. It also has a bit of a citrus hop flavor. I was so intrigued by this beer and I wish I could find more like it, but it looks like a New Mexico monastery has bought up the land where this variety grows which has limited the availability of it.

TWO
Narwhal Imperial Stout - Sierra Nevada

Source
Another must try from Sierra Nevada. This malt forward imperial stout is full of great flavors. The chocolate and coffee notes are strong with a noticeable warming factor from the 10.2 %  ABV. I wasn't in a traditional craft beer bar when I ordered this, which was apparent when they seemed shocked to find that it was only served in 10 oz glasses. I don't think I would want a full pint of this one as it is meant to be savored rather than slammed. Also, how about that label?

THREE
Wahoo White - Ballast Point

Source
I wasn't amazed by this one, BUT it is one that I would grab a 12 pack of for a camping weekend. It is light, yet full of orange and citrus flavors that are associated with the Belgian wit style. An easy drinker (4.5% ABV) that satisfies.

FOUR
Death by Coconut - Oskar Blues

Source
This is by far one of the best beers I've ever had. Top 10 for sure. It was part of a tap takeover at Pat's Tap in Minneapolis by Oskar Blues. The description on the menu mentioned chocolate and dark caramel and that it was a limited yearly release, so I thought I'd give it a try. When it arrived at the table, I didn't even have to take a sip to know that it was going to be good. The aroma alone will knock your socks off. The smell of baked coconut fills your nostrils and you begin to salivate. The coconut is complemented by the subtle chocolate and caramel flavors. It reminds me of the Girl Scout Samoa cookies. I will definitely be seeking this one out at my local craft beer shop.


FIVE
Size 4 - Steel Toe

Source
One of our regular customers at Lakes & Legends is an employee over at Steel Toe Brewing in St. Louis Park. Super friendly guy who has a lot of insight into the craft beer scene in the Twin Cities. Once in a while, he drops off a growler of Steel Toe's brews for the L&L staff to enjoy. Recently, he graced us with Size 4 a session IPA (the sizes of their IPAs are based on the ABV, try out their Size 11 if you're looking for something really special). It was refreshing, not overly hoppy, and something that I could drink a fair amount of which makes the 4% ABV even more appealing.

Na zdrávje!

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested in trying the death by coconut beer! Thanks for sharing :)

    Justine @ Charm City Ciemny's
    www.lifeasabaltimoregirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You can find out where it's being sold here: https://www.oskarblues.com/beerFinder

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 500!! That's alot of beer!!!! If your ever in NY state you should visit the Captain Lawrence Brewery in Elmsford NY! Great beer and a variety of choices!! =)

    ReplyDelete