Friday, December 18, 2015

Five Beers on Friday 12/18

My wife has been linking up with some other lady bloggers who do a "Five Things on Friday" post each week. For a lifestyle blog, it's a nice and simple way to share the things that have currently peaked your interest. I've decided to take my own spin on this idea and start a Five Beers on Friday post where I can share some of the great beers that I've recently enjoyed.

As a note, I'm not into the intense beer reviews that some other beer enthusiasts do (appearance, aroma, taste, overall score). There's nothing wrong with doing that, but I don't find a whole lot of value in them as everybody's tastes are different. One person's opinion and interpretation on a beer will be completely different than another's. I would rather bring your attention to some beers that I have sampled and explain what may make them attractive to others.

For my first post, I think it would only make sense to highlight five of my favorite beers from the brewery that I have the pleasure of working at; Lakes & Legends Brewing Company.

ONE
Slim's Grin - Raspberry Braggot (honey ale)

Source
This is by far my favorite beer that is on tap right now. It is a raspberry flavored braggot, which is a beer style that I had never heard of before. It is like a mead, but whereas a mead is made entirely from honey, a braggot is made from honey and malt. It is very sweet with nearly zero hop flavor (4 IBUs). It is heavily carbonated giving it a fizzy mouthfeel that plays on your tongue. I compare it to a wine-cooler and always recommend it to customers that are not overly fond of beer. Be careful though, its sweet and refreshing flavor masks the high alcohol content of 7.2% ABV.

TWO
Silky Stout - Belgian style stout

Source
If I could only choose one beer to have on tap at the brewery, the Silky Stout would be it. I love the raspberry braggot, but one is generally enough for me. The stout is such an easy drinker that I could have several growlers full. It has a coffee ground and dark chocolate bitterness, but the addition of milk sugars and the Belgian yeast give it a sweet smoothness. Adding a splash of our cold brew coffee creates an extra special treat on a frigid Minnesota wintry night.

THREE
Great Wit North - Witbier

Source
This is a great beer to introduce people to Belgian style ales. I offer this one to anyone looking for a lighter body beer. It is quite sessionable at 5.6% ABV (the lowest of all of our beers) and is comparable to other major market witbiers. It has a orange zest and coriander aroma that is complemented by clove notes of the Belgian yeast.

FOUR
Bitter Farmhand - Belgian style IPA

Source
Focusing on sweeter Belgian and farmhouse style ales runs counter to the hop crazy trend that currently dominates the American craft beer scene. To appease the hop heads, there is this Belgian style IPA. It isn't overly hoppy (71 IBU), which I appreciate. The Belgian yeast cuts the hop bitterness creating a nicely balanced beer to be consumed all year round.

FIVE
Preservation - Belgian rauchbier (smoked beer)

Source
Smoked beer isn't for everyone, I'm not always a huge fan either, but this one is very approachable and won't overwhelm. The aroma is reminiscent of a smoked ham and I imagine it being the perfect beer back for a bloody mary. You can still get a small hint of banana flavor from the Belgian yeast which contrasts the smokiness.

These are only five of the nine beers available at Lakes & Legends. A tenth brew will be unveiled in the next few weeks and eventually there will be a full sixteen on tap! I'm super excited to be working for such a great brewery and the amazing beer makes it even better. Come stop in and allow me to pour you a glass!

À la vôtre!

No comments:

Post a Comment