Thursday, June 4, 2015

First steps to becoming a cicerone

On several occasions, my friends and family have referred to me as a beer snob. I am always quick to correct this, because I believe this term has some bad connotations with which I do not care to be associated. A beer snob is the one-upper of the beer scene. They brag about the one-off cask beer they had or they talk about how they prefer the 2011 batch over the 2012. Gag me. I consider myself a lover of beer who appreciates every pint for what it is. Plus, if I were a beer snob, I wouldn't have a case of Miller High Life in my fridge right now.


I love beer for so many reasons. Nothing beats going out and reconnecting with an old friend while sitting on a patio, beer in hand. Each pint brings you deeper into conversation and closer together. I love the complexity of beer. The possibilities for experimentation in brewing are practically limitless. Even in Germany, with the regulation of the Reinheitsgebot there are still so many beer variations with just water, hops, malt, and yeast.

The main thing I love about beer is how accessible it is as compared to wine or spirits. If you were looking to get a fine wine or vodka, you had better be ready to open up your wallet and dig deep. However, if you were to get a high quality beer, you will most likely only have to pay a couple dollars more than the average beer. Even the drinking cultures surrounding beer and wine are completely different. Wine is seen as a refined and sophisticated beverage whereas beer is not limited to a certain setting or atmosphere. Feel free to raise a pint at a football game or at your sister's wedding. Beer also varies from wine in its accessibility to the masses by how simple it is to identify a good beer from a bad beer. Set a glass of 1960 Cabernet Reserve next to a glass of two buck chuck and three times out of ten I might pick the Charles Shaw. In contrast, I hope no one would ever rank a Miller Lite over a Paulaner Premium Pilsner (not that I don't enjoy a Miller Lite on occasion).


My appreciation for beer has prompted me to pursue a major undertaking. I am studying to become a Certified Cicerone®. Quite simply, a cicerone is a beer expert, similar to a wine sommelier. The certification process was established in 2007 by Chicago brewer and author, Ray Daniels. Daniels was frustrated with seeing beer being improperly handled and served. Brewers put everything they have into their beer and yet once it exits their doors they no longer have any control over it. Any off flavors experienced by the consumer that may develop due to improper handling or service are not attributed to the distributor, retailer, or server, but are associated with the brewer. Therefore the cicerone certification program was established in order to train industry professionals on beer flavors, styles, and service. A cicerone is also meant to guide the consumer in their beer selection process by educating them on the flavors present in a beer and how it may complement their food pairings. Cicerones are really beer gurus.

There are three steps in the cicerone certification program. The first level is a Certified Beer Server. This involves taking a 60 question multiple-choice exam testing your basic understanding of beer flavors and styles as well as proper handling and service of beer. The second level is a Certified Cicerone®. This requires a grueling process which takes months, if not years, of studying. There is a several hour long short answer exam testing your thorough understanding of beer flavors and styles. This is then followed by a tasting component which will challenge you to identify beer styles, off-flavors, and food pairings based solely on appearance, aroma, and taste. The final stage is the Master Cicerone®. Only nine people currently hold this prestigious level and they are walking dictionaries of beer knowledge.


Most people pursue certification because of their occupation in the craft beer industry. I have no serious interest in making beer my vocation, though if that opportunity presented itself I would definitely consider it. My real motivating factor is the challenge and to gain a higher appreciation of the beverage that I love. From what I have read, this lack of industry experience will be a serious hurdle for me, but I'm not going to let that stop me. I am currently working through the study guide for the Certified Beer Server exam and am reading the suggested book, "Tasting Beer" by Randy Mosher. I am a slow reader so this may take quite a while, but I hope to take the exam later this year.  I have already learned a lot about the history of beer making and the basic flavor profiles which is all really interesting. I can't wait to learn more and I am excited for the challenge.

Bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment